The Edwin C. Denby High School is a public secondary education school located at 12800 Kelly Road in northeastern Detroit, Michigan. Denby High opened in 1930, and the building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2005.
The $16 million renovation includes brand-new mechanical and electrical systems, plus all the labs, classrooms and public areas received upgrades and a much-needed face-lift done by The Kraemer Design Group.
The “historic heart of the school,” Denby’s 2,000-seat Art Deco auditoriums also being restored. Its gold leaf decoration around the curtains, maple wood chairs, and wall paneling are all being restored to its previous splendor together with a new state-of-the-art sound system and equipment.
Denby High School remained open while undergoing its renovation without disrupting classes. Redesigned and upgraded spaces include classrooms, the choir room, the media center, the gymnasium, the kitchen, the auditorium, student lockers and the administrative offices.
Additional cafeteria is also being added, featured at the rear of the property adjacent to the renovated kitchens while a modernized front entrance will better handle security issues and the morning traffic flow.